Until about 2 a.m. Friday. I couldn't sleep. Instead of staying in bed, I got up. I do that a lot lately... because frankly, that's the only time a mom gets any peace during summer break. And all the mamas said "Amen."
I hopped on Facebook, and my heart leapt out of my chest and the tears began to fall. Here's why.
| Six baptisms at Truth's Place... in a parking lot... in almost 100 degree heat. |
(Click the photos to enlarge.)
"Meeting others where they are" isn't just a slogan for Nothing But The Truth Ministries, the non-profit organization, which operates Truth's Place and of which I am on the board. This ministry cultivates real relationships with real people... people who may never step foot in a church. You might call some of them marginalized -- or forgotten. We call them family.
There's no "us" serving "them" at Truth's Place. It's just "us" all working to grow closer to God together. And the ministry model excites me:
- Go to people where they live.
- Find a "person of peace" (a believer) to help spread the word and build trust.
- Serve people in their neighborhood -- a cookout, a weekly Backyard Bible Club.
- Invite them to Truth's Place. (As space allows. Our current space limits our ability to invite all we serve even though it's grown about 300% in just a year. However, there's already a second "Truth's Place" in Jonesboro, GA, and our partners there are having great success.)
|This young man professed his faith two years ago at Truth's Place.|
He still attends weekly and continues to grow in his faith.
Christian friends, we need to do a better job of taking the Church outside of our buildings. Let's go where Jesus would go and reach out to hurting people... Not as lightening (a quick strike that flashes then is gone), but as Light (a constant source of Love and community.)
Are you wondering where to begin?
- Look at your family. (It's easier to serve strangers than to show love to some of our own family members. Do it any way.)
- Look at your Facebook friends. (Is everyone just like you? You need more friends.)
- Look at who you encounter every day. (Get out of your comfort zone and sit with the person who's always alone.)
I don't have all the answers. I just know that I prayed for God to break my heart for what breaks His... and He did. And I'll be forever grateful. For more information on Nothing But The Truth, visit our web site. We provide weekend food bags for more than 600 food-insecure school kids each week. We teach ESL and provide homework help. We host life groups over meals and share the gospel. We'd love for you to join us.
Let us be known by our Love,
"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -
"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' - Matthew 25:40