Can you relate? I bet you've been through enough, too, for one reason or another. Enough loss. Enough chaos. Enough waiting. Enough stress. Enough hurt... Just enough.
As I see it, we have two choices:
- We can decide we've been through enough... and we're tapping out, giving up, giving in. (Binge watching trash TV. Finishing a bottle -- or two -- of wine. Checking out physically and emotionally on our family and friends.)
- We can decide we've been through enough... and we're moving forward, fighting harder, digging in. (Finding a counselor. Improving our health. Going deeper in faith. Starting an accountability plan with a trusted friend.)
The choice we make changes everything. Believe me, there are days I'd love to swaddle myself like an infant in that "I've-been-through-enough" thinking. After all, why should I keep pushing myself? I've been through enough! Here's why: I push myself because I want my life to get better. And I'm too driven, too determined, and too darn stubborn to fail. Some days it's the joy of small victories that keeps me going. Some days it's a fierce anger and refusal to stay stuck. But that's just me.
My personality and efforts will only take me so far. Thankfully I can tap into God's power, too:
- He is supreme. No one outranks Him or has greater authority over my life. Isaiah 46:10
- He is faithful -- loyal and reliable in ways no human being ever could be. He doesn't ever get sick of me! (And believe me, I wouldn't blame Him if He did.) Deuteronomy 7:9
- He's unchangeable and fully trust-worthy. I can believe what He says. Isaiah 40:8
- He's wise. He knows the reason why He's writing my story in this particular way. Isaiah 28:29
- He's good. Oh, He's good. He's EVERYTHING good, and the giver of every good and perfect gift. James 1:17
So what are you going to do with your "enough?" Last week, I wrote about my struggle in the Aftermath. This week I want to challenge you to determine what you'll do to get through your aftermath. A relationship with Jesus gives you life-changing power. Unleash it! Let Him rewrite your story into one of redemption and joy!
Next week on March 15, I'll have reconstructive surgery #2. It's another 2 to 3 hour fairly-invasive procedure. Please keep me in your prayers (requests below) as I pray also for you. We can do this! We were not created to live in despair and defeat. Let's be deliberate in moving beyond our "aftermath" into our glorious "what's next."
I can't wait to see what He does,
Specific prayer requests:
- Please pray I stay well for surgery as my immune system has been low.
- Since we don't have the convenience of using my port, please pray for my veins to be healthier and stronger this time for anesthesia.
- Please pray that my surgeon will make me look and feel "whole" again.
- Please pray for my recovery -- quick healing, low pain, and no infection.
- Please pray for Tony and the kids as they experience another period of time without me at my best. Thank you, friends!
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might." - Ephesians 6:10